Monday, September 20, 2010

A letter to Abigail after her 1st year

Dear Abigail,

I hope to make a habit out of writing letters to you; hopefully around the time of your birthday. This is the first.

My darling daughter - you have turned our life upside down and changed everything that Daddy and I knew to be "our life". We went from a carefree lifestyle of coming and going as we pleased; taking long car rides; and eating whenever and whatever we wanted. That all changed the day you were born and I wouldn't change that for the world.

In the past year we have learned how to be parents...your parents. We have learned who you are becoming and have laughed at every funny face and sound, reveled in every new skill and move you make. Sure there were nights where we were ready to pull our hair out as we bounced you because you wouldn't sleep and we were way past due for our own "nap".

But then there are the moments that I will never forget: The first time you smiled was when I lay you down in your crib so that I could fold laundry and I turned on your mobile. I was so excited to see that smiley face at just 3 weeks and you haven't stopped smiling since. The day you started babbling in your exersaucer and I heard the word "Mum". The discovery of your first tooth. When we realized you could put your own pacifier in your mouth. And the moment we captured on video where you stood on your own two feet, unsupported, for the very first time. It was a year of firsts; for you and us.

I am utterly in love with who you are, that you are mine and that you love me back. You are such a happy child who is big about everything. Big laughs, big cries. You crawl on your bum, putting one leg out to propel yourself forward. You sometimes even do this while towing some favourite object in one hand.

Now you are a one-year old and no longer considered a baby; you're a toddler now. You are still MY baby, though. I am so excited to continue to see your next firsts and to hear your voice as you learn more words. I can't wait until you finally sleep through the night (it's going to happen, right?) and I am terribly excited for Christmas this year. You are going to love the decorations and most assuredly, the presents.

What will you do next, my baby? I can't wait to find out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment