Monday, January 3, 2011

Reflecting on 2010

A new year is upon us and it's generally the time that we all sit back and reflect on the past year. I have to admit, that I'm trying hard to remember all the highs and lows of the past 12 months, but such a blur that it was, it's hard to focus.

I started 2010 waking up at midnight to my husband saying "Happy New Year" and my 4 month-old daughter staring up at me on our bed with a smile. Such were the days where she was waking up every two to three hours, demanding to be fed only to pass out once her tummy was full. Not much about that has changed now that's it's 2011, however she's graciously letting me sleep in much longer stretches (when she's not teething, that is).

In the beginning of the new year right through to June, I juggled getting some sort of order in my life as a new mom and managing the redesign, rebuild and launch of a new website for my father's company.

After coming home from a long-weekend trip in May, I began my search for a job, knowing that maternity leave would have to end some time. At the same time, I began to mentally prepare myself for leaving my baby, who I had been with 24/7, with a stranger. In July, while on a family vacation, I finally got the call and on August 16th, 2010, I began my new job. On September 7th, her first birthday, Abigail started daycare.

Between then and now, Abigail has gone from a chatter box of nonsensical sounds (I can prove it here) to a chatter box who can actually communicate with real words.

Ok, maybe not ALL the time, but she's a great story-teller.

I have seen a little life blossom in front of my eyes. I had no idea what to expect beyond what I read in articles and books, but to experience it has been the most incredible experience and most life-changing year of my young life.

2010 was a time of learning, changing, growing, stretching, adapting and loving. I can't wait to see what 2011 will bring!


0 comments:

Post a Comment